A former Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Alhaji Bukur Goni Aji has urged newly appointed and recently posted Federal Permanent Secretaries to maintain their credibility, integrity and relevance in order to justify the confidence reposed in them and be of significant value to the nation.
2. Alhaji Goni Aji gave the advice while delivering a paper "the Roles and Responsibilities of Permanent Secretaries as Accounting Officers" during a 2-day Induction Workshop for New Permanent Secretaries, August 11-12, 2021.
3. The workshop is being organised to equip the new Permanent Secretaries with the requisite skills, tact and temperament in carrying out their duties. Other resource persons at the workshop include the Chairman, Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC), retired and serving Federal Permanent Secretaries, Auditor General of the Federation and the Chairman, Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC).
4. During the interactive workshop, the following topics were extensively presented and discussed;
i. An Overview of Public Procurement - Arc Sunny Echono, Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education.
ii. An Overview of the FCSSIP, the Gains and the Way Forward - Dr Emmanuel Meribole, Permanent Secretary, Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation.
iii. Managing Relationships between Permanent Secretaries, Honourable Minister, Labour Unions and National Assembly - Bukar Goni Aji, former Head of Civil Service of the Federation.
iv. Sharing Experience and Prioritization of Goals - Mr Ayodele Folayan, retired Permanent Secretary,
v. An Overview of the Financial Regulations and Public Sector Auditing - Adolphus Aghogho, Auditor General of the Federation and
vi. Towards Understanding a Transparent Anti-Corruption Crusade - Chairman, ICPC.
5. In his presentation, the Chairman, Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC), Dr. Tukur Bello Ingawa, while urging the participants to play strictly by the rules, also urged them be ready atimes to think out-of-the box so to manage various stakeholders in achieving organisational set targets. He further urged them to exhibit character traits that inspire robust confidence in their leadership. He advised them to live by example, be knowledgeable, visionary, inspirational, professional, kind, approachable, responsive, patriotic, proactive, incorruptible, industrious, creative, amiable, firm, decisive, efficient, organized and above all, be God fearing.
7. In her vote of thanks, the Permanent Secretary, Service Welfare Office in the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Dr Mrs Ngozi Maryanne Onwudiwe commended the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation for continuing with the established tradition of preparing Permanent Secretary Designates through induction programmes.
6. A major take away from the Workshop for the nascent Permanent Secretaries is to, always, be above board in the management of resources, both human and material.
DD Press & Public Relations:
For: Director, Press and Public Relations